Monday, May 21, 2018

Sometimes

Sometimes.. I look at the world and think it's gone mad. Sometimes I think our leaders would rather let the world burn rather than do what is right. Why have all environmental accords been nothing more than fancy paper and photo ops? Why do we fight wars with countries that haven't attacked us? Why are we reverting to the same economic policies that lead to the great depression?

Sometimes.. I wonder about human nature and how tribal we can be. I wonder if I am racist, sexist, transphobic, and classist. I try to guard against such thoughts but sometimes I think I hear the echoes of family and friends and wonder if such ideas that they held are not my own. They raised me and interacted with me. It stands to reason that they influenced me. I worry that these things happen at a subconscious level and I don't even know it.

Sometimes.. I wonder if I could even be another religion if I tried and I wonder how much of that was also influenced by my environment. How would I react if I found out that I was wrong? I think I would still have the same basic beliefs of treating others as well as you want to be treated, but I think I might be overwhelmed nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment